Friday, July 11, 2008

For my friend, Evis

To me giving hope to someone it can be as easy and simple as doing something nice for that person. It might give hope that kindness still exists, that friendships can be real, that nice gestures can be done just because...

What I am doing for a friend of mine this weekend is throwing a bitter-sweet farewell party. She was in the States for a year as a visiting scholar and at the end of the month, her time will arrive to return back to her home country, Albania. It's sad in one hand because we developed such a strong friendship and got so used to seeing each other once a week at least, chat, encourage each other, confess to each other, pray and share joys and sorrows. On the other hand, it's exciting to see what the future holds for her and how God will use her either in her country, or back here, or somewhere in Europe...

What makes me think this is a occasion to give hope and show Christ's love and kindness is the fact that there will be a fairly big crowd coming to this farewell party, people my friend Evis came in contact with throughout the year here, colleagues, older friends from Albania even who are here at the moment, co-workers, some friends from our church etc. It's a diverse, very international and fascinating group and just thinking how blessed I am to host all these wonderful people, reminds me of that verse in the Bible: "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it" (Hebrews 13:2)

2 comments:

Meadowlark Days said...

I'm sure Evis was thrilled and touched by your party!

Thanks for continually reminding us of the need to show hospitality.

studiocitro said...

That is such a cool verse!!! You have a gift my friend, I am so proud you use it!